Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Belated Birthday to My Blog

I missed my blog's one year anniversary because I was so overwhelmed with school work. I still am but I am taking a little bit of time for me this labor day weekend. I'm proud of myself for keeping this going for a whole year, even if there were a few months when it seemed like I'd abandoned the task all together. Converting to Judaism is really strange, and so few of us actually do it. It's nice to have the blogging world to connect us to other JBCs, Jews, and people who are just interested in our stories.

A year ago, I really wanted to convert to Judaism, but I wasn't sure if I could, should, or would. I loved Friday night services at Hillel but worried that I could never really be a Jew. Now, I sometimes forget that I'm not. It gets quite annoying actually. People are always trying to count me in the minyan and I have to stop them. But one day, I won't have to and what a glorious day it will be. The rabbi asks if I want to light candles on Friday night. I can, but I can't do it alone, and I don't feel like pointing that out in front of a crowd of people. Friend asks me to say kaddish for someone he knows who died in the last week, have to ask someone else to do it. Other people forget I'm not Jewish or don't learn until after they've met me and someone insolently points out that I'm not actually Jewish I just like doing Jewish things. Oy, that's getting really old.

This blog has really helped me come to terms with a lot of issues I bring as a convert. Everyone's set of issues is a little different and I am grateful to everyone who reads and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment