Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Evil Trickster?

So a while back I was hanging out fairly often with this guy who I met at Hillel. People I've met there have been fairly fascinated by me and like to tell me about their own experiences with Judaism and to talk about the specifics of what they believe. One day we were sitting outside and we started to hear the preacher guy who's always on campus going on about some Christian fundamentalist nonsense, and so we got on the subject of Jesus. Go figure.

This guy started to tell me that Jesus practiced some kind of dark magic that is so bad that the Torah doesn't even talk about it that much and that there used to be a lot of books about this magic but they've disappeared because the rabbis outlawed them. This magic could enable people to walk on water and turn water into wine. Do those miracles sound familiar?

Basically, this guy told me that he actually believes that Jesus performed all those various miracles but that he did it through dark, illegal magic. I'd never heard anything like that, and just said "Oh. Interesting." Later that night I started to feel really creeped out by everything he told me and I didn't know why. I tried googling what he said but I couldn't find anything. I didn't know what was going on. Was I personally offended by what he was saying? Was this the night I discovered that I am actually, secretly a Christian and was just temporarily confused?

No. After a good night's sleep, I was able to figure out why I got so upset by this. I don't believe in that kind of magic (magic between two people, yes, but not magic that people literally perform). I have spent a long, long time believing that the stories of Jesus' miracles were fabricated. And I will continue to think that. If Jesus was using dark magic to do those things, that would mean he was tricking people into believing he was the Messiah and/or G-d. And I'm sorry, but I don't want someone telling me that a person I grew up learning about was actually an evil trickster. As a kid I definitely looked up to Jesus. I went to Sunday school and CCD to learn about what a good person he was. And I still believe he was a good person. I believe that his story went through a telephone process and ended up in a completely different form than how it started. I believe he had a good message and that it's still buried under all the miracles and whatnot. There are many good people who've done good things based on Jesus' teachings and parables.

 I just don't believe that Jesus was/is G-d. So if you believe that Jesus was an evil trickster, I really don't want to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment