Sunday, January 1, 2012

Shana Tova, take two

It's a new day and a new year, and I'm not nearly as distressed as I was in the other night's post. It's amazing what a good night's sleep and a few kind words from people can do for you. In the new year fashion I am resolving a few things. I just want to concentrate on learning more Judaism and to focus on school and make the dean's list again. I have a lot of extracurriculars so time management has been an issue. Anyways, I will share with you my Jewish goals for the year.
1. Read the Hebrew Bible. All of it. In English, of course. I am about 30% of the way through it, even though technically I am re-reading stuff and will continue to re-read a lot. I have read several of the books in the KJV Old Testament in an English class freshman year. But the great thing is I can compare and contrast translational differences. I have a super good memory so when I'm reading certain verses I'll think to myself "that's not what it is in the KJV." It's interesting to see theological differences reflected in the translations. This goal will take at least into the summer if not the entire year. Yikes! But I have been thinking about this for a while, and I really want to do it.
 2. Improve my Hebrew reading skills. I just learned all the vowels from my friend during our trip to Alabama. I am used to looking right to left and the sounds the letters make. I'll probably try to borrow a prayer book from Hillel at some point so I can practice reading from it.
3. Enjoy being a non-Jew. I'm not Jewish, so I'm going to enjoy it and be more aware of that. I need to remember that this whole journey is about finding something that fits me not to make myself fit something. I need to remember my beliefs and to not necessarily remember what Jews believe. If they coincide great. If not that's OK, too. Of course, I find great comfort in the fact that there's not doctrine in Judaism and I'm allowed to challenge and argue things. :)

Oh, I also have a more general goal, for this blog. I took a lot of time trying to establish my background so my life would make a little bit of sense. So I've tended to write about things way after the fact, either years or months. My new goal is to write as much as possible soon after an experience. This means no more than a week after a new or interesting experience. I will most likely still write about my childhood but not as frequently as at the start of this blog.

What are your goals for the new year? Do you think I should add something to my own list? Shana Tova!

2 comments:

  1. One of my goals this year is to visit 6-10 new shuls to which I've never been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Jewish resolutions:

    1. Follow along with the parashah and haftarah every week. I tried doing this starting at Simchat Torah, but I failed miserably and only got though Bereishit (the Torah portion, not the book...I only lasted one week. Pretty bad, I know.) I chalk it up to time management and taking on too heavy a courseload last semester. But it should be a bit better this semester, so hopefully I can keep up.

    2. Find a reason to go to the synagogue on a regular basis. This will be tricky. I think my best bet here is to ask the Jewish teacher at my school (I feel bad calling her that--she's awesome for so many other reasons, but obviously I can't write her name here) if her synagogue offers classes. I'm sure that they do because I looked on their website, but I feel bad enrolling in one without her permission because I know that would make her uncomfortable. (The synagogue's pretty small, and she's good friends with the rabbi, so there's no question she'd find out.) When I asked her in September if I could go to synagogue with her, she replied, "Sure, just get permission from your parents and theology teacher. I don't want anyone under the impression that I'm trying to convert students." Yeah, that's why I don't want to display too much public Jewish enthusiasm if it will cause people to get the wrong ideas (well, the right ideas, actually) and cast aspersions on her. I'd feel the same way in her position. I think my parents would be okay with it (as long as I was the one paying), but there's no way for me to know her comfort level with it without asking her.

    3. Go to college and find all the Jewish things I can. It's weird to think that I'll likely be leaving home in eight months, but it means this is the year I'll join a Hillel! That just dawned on me...

    ReplyDelete