Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Where do I go from here...?

So now what do I do now that I'm finished with the Church? Just go back to being a wandering agnostic/atheist type? Wrong. C'est pas possible. I can't be an atheist after all that wrestling with G-d! That would be nonsensical....

About seven or eight months ago, I was on one of my intense wikipedia sessions (the ones where you start of reading one article and click on the little blue words over and over until you're at a completely unrelated topic. yeah, you know what I'm talking about...), and then all of a sudden I'm at a page about Jewish thoughts on the afterlife. Then I go to another page and another page reading more and more Jewish philosophy, theology, etc. And I'm just taking in so much of this information, thinking to myself, "Damn. That's what I think." It was so surprising to me that so many things that I took months and years to figure out, are already apart of an established religion.

To be perfectly honest, I would have never had considered Judaism as a religion for me because of it's relation to Christianity. I guess I just always thought of them as being so similar. Anyone who knows anything is thinking right now "What a dumby. They're so totally different." Yes, I know this now. But as a teenager who just generally despised organized religion, I didn't consider that Judaism might be completely different in its theology and philosophy from Christianity.

So after many days spending hours and hours reading online about Judaism, I decided I was gonna talk to an expert. That's right. I Facebook-messaged a Jew. He lived in my dorm freshman year and identified himself as a Reform Jew on his profile. And I asked him straight up, "What's the deal with being a Reform Jew?" He explained to me some of the basic differences between Reform and Orthodox Judaism and we talked about some other Jewish ideas. Of course, he then asked me why I was so interested. I told him, "I don't wanna be in my parents religion anymore but I believe in G-d. So I'm figuring something else out." He was impressed by this because, according to him, so many kids "lose religion" if they disagree with their parents. Then he invited me to the Hillel on campus for a Friday night service.

I will never forget my first Shabbat service. It was Reform and even though I had trouble finding the English translations of the Hebrew songs and prayers, I'd never felt more connected. I felt connected across time and across the world to everyone who's ever said those prayers. And I felt connected to G-d, for Hebrew is the language that the Tanakh, which has given religion to 3/4 of the world, is written in. No matter how few people pray in this language today, it has had an unmistakable influence on the world. I've talked to other non-Jews who've visited Hillel and just feel overwhelmed and intimidated by the Hebrew prayer service. I guess that I've just been challenged enough by religion that learning a new language doesn't seem like a big deal.

That first night at Hillel was truly a life changing experience for me. I went back the next week and almost every week after that, until school ended for the year. [I also went to the Chabad house twice, for a very traditional Jewish evening ;) ] I made so many great friends, who upon learning that I'm not Jewish instantly started teaching me whatever it is they feel I need to know at that moment. The great thing about Jews is, they love questions. For once, I don't have to be scared to be confused or just curious.

2 comments:

  1. Do you plan on converting? I'm sorry if the answer to this is blatantly obvious on your blog somewhere and I've missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dena,

    The only honest answer I can give right now is I don't know.

    ReplyDelete